The Bookshelf Corner’s Review Policy | January 7, 2017.
Last Updated: June 26, 2017.
Note: This page and all policies/guidelines within are subject to change at my discretion.
Thank you for checking out The Bookshelf Corner’s review policy page. Below you will find my policy for book reviews in full detail, including acquisition, genre preferences, time frame, format, rating, and author/publisher request.
I hope this answers any questions you may have on how book reviews work on this blog. Please feel free to check out past reviews by clicking on the Book Reviews tab. Thank you again for stopping by.
Happy reading and happy writing,
How I Acquire Books
I am always looking for new books to read, despite the long TBR list I have. Most of these books I have discovered at my local library or on Fantastic Fiction. Sites like Amazon and Goodreads I mostly use for bookish information.
When I look up books the two things that attract my attention at first are the title and cover. While I am always open to recommendations, I ultimately select books based off of whether or not the premise interests me. If it does, great! I now have another book to read! Depending on how interested I am dictates how soon I get to reading it.
I acquire books through online/in-store purchase from retailers (like Amazon and Barnes and Noble), as a gift, borrowed from my local library, or from NetGalley.
Genres I Prefer To Read
- Urban Fantasy
- Paranormal Romance
- Romance (to a certain degree)
- Historical Romance (depends on the premise)
- Young Adult (Fiction/Fantasy)
- New Adult (Fantasy/Paranormal/Urban Fantasy)
- Children’s Fiction (Middle Grade, Picture Books, Easy Readers)
- Science Fiction (sometimes but it depends on the premise — ex: Romina Russell’s Zodiac series or Timothy Zahn’s Dragonback series and Quadrail series)
- or any combination of the above genres
Time It Takes To Read A Book
In general, how long it takes me to read a book varies. I always hope to get a book done within a week or so, but life happens and other things take precedence. This may include but is not limited to: work schedule, health, familial emergencies.
With each book, I post on the Currently Reading page what book I am reading at the moment along with a cover image (via Goodreads, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or NetGalley) and publishing details (title/author/series, release date, publisher).
Below shows how I format each review:
- Cover Image
- Series (if applicable)
- Rating (1 to 5 scale)
- Recommend to Others? (Yes, No, Maybe)
- Favorite Quote (if applicable)
Summary via Goodreads (unless otherwise stated)
My Review – As much as I hate being negative, I write honest reviews that are spoiler-free about each book. I try to be as detail as possible with whatever I talk about. I do not set a word minimum so that I can freely express my full opinion about the book. Sometimes I have little to say, sometimes I have a lot to say. I will not force words out for the sake of length, especially if I do not mean them. Length does not dictate whether I like a book or not and to what degree.
* note: review may include links to past reviews if from the same series and/or author
** note: any requests for review (ARC or other) from authors and publishers will have a special denotation for transparency reasons that will indicate it as such
*** note: each review includes the book’s cover and is used with no ill intent; the cover is only included with the intention of helping to provide all helpful and correct information about the book. Each image comes from either Goodreads, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or NetGalley, and is always linked back to and credited to its original source
Books are rated on a scale of 1 (not good) to 5 (excellent):
1: Not good. I did not like it at all because the plot, characters, and/or writing were boring or uninteresting.
2: Not that good but had a few redeeming qualities.
3: It was okay, nothing spectacular. I neither liked nor disliked it. Had some redeeming qualities and/or a few issues. May recommend.
4: I really liked it. Had a good plot, characters, and writing. The “wow” factor was missing. Worth the read. Recommend.
5: Excellent. Loved it. Was so impressed and captivated by the plot, characters, and writing. Felt all the feels. Worth the read. Highly recommend.
*note: I will give a half rating if I am too torn between numbers
UPDATE: Due to recent changes and work schedule, at this time I am NOT accepting direct requests from authors or publishers. In the meantime, I am looking into acquiring a P.O. Box and am still researching the appropriate e-files that my reading device can take.
However, starting September of 2017, I CAN accept direct requests for books already published BUT only if they are FREE on Kindle.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
*PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING GUIDELINES THOROUGHLY BEFORE SUBMITTING A REQUEST
- Before submitting a request, I advise you to read all policies on this page (see above this section).
- Reminder: I strive to write honest reviews, good or bad.
- All reviews are spoiler free.
- See the Book Reviews page for examples of past reviews.
- Please submit all requests via the form on the Contact Me page or via email at [ firstname.lastname@example.org ].
- With your request, please include in the “Comment” section of the Contact form (1) the title of the book and by whom, (2) genre, (3) a blurb, and (4) your contact information (in case I have any questions and need to reach you) OR include all required information into the body of your email – NO attachments, please.
- I will only open and reply about acceptance/rejection to legitimate sources. No spam, please.
- I research every request for legitimacy before I consider anything – this is a safety precaution.
- I reserve the right to accept or decline your request based on one or more of the following:
- scheduling (ex: work, health, family, other obligations)
- whether I’m interested or not
- the request follows these guidelines
- the requested book is in at least one of the accepted genres (see above for genre preferences)
- the request’s legitimacy
- I’ve already read it
- Please allow at least a few days for a reply to be sent.
- If I do not reply in a week, please submit again or check my blog’s homepage for updates. It may be because I’m busy with work, am sick, or have a family emergency.
- Please do NOT submit a request for a review of book(s) in any of the following genres:
- If the request is rejected, please know it is nothing against you, the author or publisher, or the book you requested to be reviewed. Thank you for your consideration.
- If the request is accepted, thank you for your consideration. I will send details on how to send your book to me.
- I accept mailed printed copies or PDFs of the book. (As of now, I cannot accept epub or acsm attachment files.)
- Please allow at least two weeks for me to receive, read, and write a review for the book.
- All reviews are written within 24 hours after I finish reading the book.
- All reviews are posted during the next open posting day I have unless I can find a way to reschedule my posting calendar.
- All requests for review (ARC or other) from authors and publishers will have a special denotation for transparency reasons that will indicate it as such.
- I do not (and will not) rush through books as I feel that ruins my reading experience. I will only pause to take notes of persons, places, things, or quotes for future reference – or if life happens and I get busy with work/health/family matters.
- As of now, all reviews will be posted to this blog and (a modified version) on my Goodreads page.
- Note: The Bookshelf Corner may have more social media accounts established at some point later during this year of 2017.
- If there is any additional information you would like included at the end of the review (such as links to the author’s official website or social media accounts, or publisher’s page for the book), please include that in your request.
- If you would like a copy of the review, please let me know and I will send a PDF.
- While I am thankful for your request, please respect my rights and privacy, these guidelines, and any other boundaries I have set.
My Reviewer’s Guideline:
- I will read the book in its entirety unless I cannot find it in me to finish it; this rarely happens (see Rating System, particularly for number 1).
- I will write an honest review, good or bad.
- I will be as detailed as possible with whatever I say.
- I will read and review the book as soon as possible.
Thank you for reading the Review Policy. If you have any questions about it, please let me know via the form on the Contact Me page.